Ease the pressure. Breathe easy.
Ease the pressure. Breathe easy.
“My sinus infections are gone! I never needed surgery although I had a consultation with a ENT and they advised I get the painful septum surgery due to my severely deviated septum which caused headaches and terrible sinus infections. After my first visit I could breath again… and I haven’t had a sinus infection in 7 years! This sinus and headache therapy has allowed me to sleep much better which translates in my overall health being better and feeling well consistently. I highly recommend Susan if you are experiencing pain like I was! Thank you Susan!
WHAT IS SINUSITIS?
- Sinusitis refers to the inflammation or swelling often due to infection, of the sinuses of the face.
- Sinuses are normally hollow air-filled pockets in the bone of the face lined with a thin mucus layer
WHERE ARE MY SINUSES LOCATED?
- Behind your forehead,
- Behind the bridge of your nose and
- Deep to your cheek bones.
WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF THE SINUSES?
- Help humidify and filter air
- May also affect the sound of our voice
HOW DO SINUSITIS SYMPTOMS DEVELOP?
- Causing inflammation of the mucosal lining
HOW CAN I MANAGE MY SINUSITIS?
- Over-the-counter cold and allergy medications.
- Nasal saline irrigation.
- Drinking fluids
- Nasal corticosteroids
WHAT DOES SINUSITIS FEEL LIKE?
- Pressure or pain in the forehead, bridge of your nose or checks- which may expand into other parts of the head, including the ears and around the teeth
- Worsening pain when bending or leaning over.
- Worsening pain when straining
- Sinus headaches are often found in conjunction with other types of headaches. (particularly, tension and migraine type headaches).
- In many cases, sinus pain is the initial trigger that causes an associated tension and/or migraine headache.
- Difficulty breathing out of one or both nostrils
- Post nasal drip (mucus drips down the throat) requiring frequent “clearing” of the throat
- Nasal discharge (thick yellow or green discharge from nose) or stuffy nose
- Frequent need to take medication, including decongestants, anti-inflammatory and antibiotics for relief
- Bouts of dizziness
WHAT IF I CANNOT MANAGE MY SINUSITIS?
- Leads to a chronic sinus condition
- You will find more and more frequent infections
HOW CAN BALTIMORE HOLISTIC PHYSICAL THERAPY HELP?
Sinus relief is on the way.
Sinus pressure, facial pain, sinus congestion, and headaches are frequent patient complaints. At Baltimore Holistic Physical Therapy, you will receive a comprehensive evaluation to understand why there are so many problems with your sinuses. Treatment will be directed at the root causes of your problem.
Logically, it would appear that sinuses would drain if you are in the upright positions (sitting, standing), due to the forces of gravity. Because there is a delicate balance of pressures throughout the body, a restriction in an area will alter the pressures and reduce the natural flow of air. I will find and releasing these restrictions, improving this balance. In addition, you will receive an integrated approach to treating the cranial bones around the sinuses which may improve venous and lymphatic drainage to help maintain balance in the area.
These treatments have also been found to reduce ear clogging, some forms of tinnitus and post nasal drip. You will be shown how to manage your condition without unnecessary medications.
What Our Patients Have To Say
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
A: Firstly, I don’t believe in doing what didn’t work before. Many physical therapy practices approach a problem by going to the painful region. Oftentimes, this is a very temporary fix. By taking a holistic, hands-on approach, I understand that your pain may be coming from another part of the body, or even have multiple sources, including posture. By individualizing your treatment, I concentrate on healing and re-balancing the body, to manage your pain and lessen the chance of it returning. Then, I teach you how to manage your posture and movement.
A: Treatments for headaches or other pain from a recent problem will generally benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first 2 weeks, then 1 session per week. Older conditions will benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first week and then 1 session per week. Wellness sessions to rebalance and optimize the body for healthy aging range from a single session every month to once every six months and will be recommended on an individual basis.
A: An initial evaluation will take 1 hour. (Scar adhesion or sinus treatments only require 45 minutes.) Most follow-up treatments will be done in 30 minute sessions; multiple body areas may require 45 minutes
A: Any heavy exercise or recreational program should be done prior to the physical therapy or wellness session and then not for 24 hours after, in order for the body to adjust itself to the changes in muscle balance.
A: I will teach you techniques to perform on yourself if there is a flare-up and instruct you on proper body mechanics and ergonomics.
A: It is a facial aesthetics program of wrinkle reduction and facial rejuvenation using hands-on physical therapy and osteopathic techniques which may reduce the signs of aging in the face and neck. A FREE HEALTHY AGING CONSULTATION is available. See Refacée®
A: Wellness programs for healthy aging are not covered by most insurances, but may be reimbursable through a Healthcare Savings Account (HSA). A written bill and receipt will be provided upon your request. Although I do not participate in or bill insurance directly, I will provide a bill for you to submit to your insurance for reimbursement, upon request. As there are many types of insurance plans with each provider, it is your responsibility to understand the terms of your insurance. *Those with Medicare Part B insurance from CMS will only be allowed to be part of the Healthy Aging program, NOT for physical therapy treatment. Please see Payment Terms and Policies.
A: Appointments may be made in the following ways: Please call 410-665-3223 Email: Dr.Susan@baltimoreholisticpt.com