posture analysis & wellness treatment
Posture Analysis & Wellness Treatment
Susan has been taking care of my aches and pains for over 20 years. Currently we are working on postural and flexibility problems. This makes me aware that aging changes don’t have to be permanent.
WHAT IS POSTURE?
- Posture is the position in which we hold our bodies while standing, sitting, or lying down.
- In general, it refers to the whole-body position in space (3D).
- We can also talk about postures of various, more localized parts of the body, like your face, shoulder or foot as examples.
- Good posture, in general, is maintained when your body is in balance three-dimensionally, including having the proper level of tone in your muscles.
- Good posture, for a specific body area, is the correct positioning and muscle tone within the localized area.
- Maintaining good posture allows for movement to be smooth and fluid.
- Good posture is responsible for helping the body use energy more efficiently,
- Good posture reduces muscle fatigue and allows the internal organs to function more efficiently.
WHY IS MAINTAINING GOOD POSTURE IMPORTANT?
- Cosmetically – poor posture affects your image
- Has the appearance of aging more quickly
- Looks awkward and unhealthy
- Health – poor posture may eventually lead to
HOW DOES POOR POSTURE DEVELOP?
- Bad habits such as sitting in a slouched position or leaning to one side constantly,
- Viewing and using a smartphone or computer often,
- Injuries, surgeries and infections, recent and old, may result in scarring or in developing a holding pattern to protect the affected areas. This tends to pull your body away from center, making it more difficult to maintain good posture.
HOW CAN I HELP MANAGE MY POSTURE?
- Be more aware of your posture throughout the day and take frequent breaks to move around, be taller, re-adjust your seat
- Avoid sitting in the same position for long periods of time
- Make your workspace more centered
- Strengthening the weak or lazy muscles
- Avoid soft couches and recliners for long durations, these cause poor posture.
- Work on exercises that strengthen your core muscles and your mid back muscles
- No matter how often you consciously correct your slouched posture, if it returns to the slouch or tilt, there is something else going on that requires a further assessment with recommendations for treatment
- Poor athletic performance
HOW CAN BALTIMORE HOLISTIC PHYSICAL THERAPY HELP?
Ease into good posture with a holistic approach.
At Baltimore Holistic Physical Therapy, you will be assessed thoroughly, taking a history of past injuries, illnesses and surgeries. Then, a full evaluation of your body, identifying any restrictions which interfere with good posture. A separate assessment of facial asymmetries is also available. An assessment of body mechanics (how you move with activities), static posture, strength and mobility we be performed, next.
Then, you will receive expert quality care including releasing any restrictions that would otherwise prevent sustained good posture. be treated with a individualized treatment to improve your posture plan that will pinpoint what you need to improve your posture, and relieve your pain quickly. We teach you the right exercises to perform that will put you on the path to a pain free life with terrific posture!
This will allow you to look better, feel better and enjoy life to the fullest.
Schedule an appointment today and get started on the path to wellness.
What Our Patients Have To Say
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
A: Firstly, I don’t believe in doing what didn’t work before. Many physical therapy practices approach a problem by going to the painful region. Oftentimes, this is a very temporary fix. By taking a holistic, hands-on approach, I understand that your pain may be coming from another part of the body, or even have multiple sources, including posture. By individualizing your treatment, I concentrate on healing and re-balancing the body, to manage your pain and lessen the chance of it returning. Then, I teach you how to manage your posture and movement.
A: Treatments for headaches or other pain from a recent problem will generally benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first 2 weeks, then 1 session per week. Older conditions will benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first week and then 1 session per week. Wellness sessions to rebalance and optimize the body for healthy aging range from a single session every month to once every six months and will be recommended on an individual basis.
A: An initial evaluation will take 1 hour. (Scar adhesion or sinus treatments only require 45 minutes.) Most follow-up treatments will be done in 30 minute sessions; multiple body areas may require 45 minutes
A: Any heavy exercise or recreational program should be done prior to the physical therapy or wellness session and then not for 24 hours after, in order for the body to adjust itself to the changes in muscle balance.
A: I will teach you techniques to perform on yourself if there is a flare-up and instruct you on proper body mechanics and ergonomics.
A: It is a facial aesthetics program of wrinkle reduction and facial rejuvenation using hands-on physical therapy and osteopathic techniques which may reduce the signs of aging in the face and neck. A FREE HEALTHY AGING CONSULTATION is available. See Refacée®
A: Although many patients have health insurance, Baltimore Holistic Physical Therapy does not participate with health insurances.