Look good. Feel good.
Look good. Feel good.
WHAT ARE SCAR ADHESIONS?
- Adhesions are bands of scar tissue that bind tissue that usually would be free.
- This may cause internal organs to be stuck together when they are not supposed to be.
- It may also bind the fascia surrounding and intertwined with soft tissue.
WHAT ARE SOME HIDDEN SYMPTOMS OF SCAR ADHESIONS?
HOW CAN I CAN MANAGE MY SCAR ADHESIONS?
- For the scars that can be seen, a gentle massage against the direction of the scar can help break up adhesions.
- Gently stretch the restricted areas
WHAT DO SCAR ADHESIONS FEEL LIKE?
- Scar adhesions can be felt as a tightness or restriction in the area of the scar;
- It tends to feel firmer than the surrounding area.
- Scars may also be much deeper than the skin.
- In these cases, it may not be felt.
- In both cases, the scar adhesions have a greater affect to the body and may pull and restrict other areas of the body, reaching out like tentacles.
HOW DOES IT DEVELOP?
- The result of previous surgery,
- Following an injury,
- After an infection or
- Wear and tear.
WHAT IF I CANNOT MANAGE MY SCAR ADHESIONS?
- Scar adhesions tend to restrict movement more and more over time
- Restricted movement may cause increased pain even in areas not directly connected to the scarring.
HOW CAN BALTIMORE HOLISTIC PHYSICAL THERAPY HELP?
Let me show you how you can reduce this scar.
A thorough history will be taken. You will be asked about past surgeries, infections, and injuries, all sources of scar adhesions. Scar adhesions may cause pain in another area of the body. After identifying the problem areas, your scar adhesions can be managed correctly. Effective treatment and best practices will include an integrated approach using manual therapies including positional release, visceral manipulation, muscle energy, neural mobilization, and joint mobilization.
Treatment is gentle and geared towards freeing up the adhesions to help reduce symptoms such as pain and numbness, and tingling. It helps promote the normal function of the bowels, bladder, circulation, and other systems of the body.
“Fixing” the problem is only one aspect of the treatment. You will also be taught how to avoid future problems. Instruction will be very specific to your needs and will be addressed accordingly. This holistic approach is designed for you to minimize your time spent in the physical therapy office and maximize your quality of life as quickly as possible.
What Our Patients Have To Say
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
A: Firstly, I don’t believe in doing what didn’t work before. Many physical therapy practices approach a problem by going to the painful region. Oftentimes, this is a very temporary fix. By taking a holistic, hands-on approach, I understand that your pain may be coming from another part of the body, or even have multiple sources, including posture. By individualizing your treatment, I concentrate on healing and re-balancing the body, to manage your pain and lessen the chance of it returning. Then, I teach you how to manage your posture and movement.
A: Treatments for headaches or other pain from a recent problem will generally benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first 2 weeks, then 1 session per week. Older conditions will benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first week and then 1 session per week. Wellness sessions to rebalance and optimize the body for healthy aging range from a single session every month to once every six months and will be recommended on an individual basis.
A: An initial evaluation will take 1 hour. (Scar adhesion or sinus treatments only require 45 minutes.) Most follow-up treatments will be done in 30 minute sessions; multiple body areas may require 45 minutes
A: Any heavy exercise or recreational program should be done prior to the physical therapy or wellness session and then not for 24 hours after, in order for the body to adjust itself to the changes in muscle balance.
A: I will teach you techniques to perform on yourself if there is a flare-up and instruct you on proper body mechanics and ergonomics.
A: It is a facial aesthetics program of wrinkle reduction and facial rejuvenation using hands-on physical therapy and osteopathic techniques which may reduce the signs of aging in the face and neck. A FREE HEALTHY AGING CONSULTATION is available. See Refacée®
A: Although many patients have health insurance, Baltimore Holistic Physical Therapy does not participate with health insurances.