Pregnancy and Post-Partum Services
Pregnancy and Post-Partum Services
Feel comfortable during pregnancy
WHY DO I NEED TO MANAGE MY BODY ACHES AND CHANGES DURING PREGNANCY?
- Taking care of your body during pregnancy is of utmost importance.
Mindful exercise helps protect you and your unborn child.
As your body changes, reducing your physical stress is important
- To prevent injuries by protecting your body as it changes throughout your pregnancy,
Understand that as your belly grows larger, your balance will change
Back pain and leg pain (or numbness) tend to be more common in the last trimester, due to an increase in weight and the imbalance of the body.
You must learn to do some activities differently, like getting out of bed, stooping, and reaching.
Gentle treatment to ease pain during pregnancy.
WHY TYPES OF PROBLEMS DO I NEED TO MANAGE MY AFTER PREGNANCY?
- Following delivery, there can be issues with general back pain, sacroiliac (SI) pain, weakened abdominal muscles, pain from an episiotomy or c-section scar, pelvic floor muscle weakness/pain.
- In addition, the following may be present:
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Diastasis recti
- Bladder issues
- Chronic pain
- Nursing your baby may cause additional stresses to your body, both physical and emotional.
- Carrying your baby while caring for other small children also pose challenges to the tolerance and limitations of your body
- The shape of your body may have changed due to how some muscles have been stretched or weakened
HOW CAN BALTIMORE HOLISTIC PHYSICAL THERAPY HELP?
During pregnancy, treatments for any injury or onset of back pain must be gentle to protect the unborn. Dr. Schehr helps your body manage your pain with her gentle techniques.
In addition, instruction in simple exercises and postural training are given to help you manage yourself.
During and after pregnancy, proper lifting and bending techniques are demonstrated. These are very helpful in managing the care of your entire family, especially in:
- How to tend to your baby and other small children (even at the same time)
- Cooking and other kitchen tasks
- Performing laundry tasks
- Housekeeping activities
- Any other activities specific to your needs
Post-partum, the body needs to heal. At Baltimore Holistic Physical Therapy, Dr. Schehr can help with:
- Reducing scar tissue
- Reducing the effects on the stomach or bowels
- Minimizing the bulge from weakened muscles, or diastasis
- Restoring wellness to your body
What Our Patients Have To Say
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
A: Firstly, I don’t believe in doing what didn’t work before. Many physical therapy practices approach a problem by going to the painful region. Oftentimes, this is a very temporary fix. By taking a holistic, hands-on approach, I understand that your pain may be coming from another part of the body, or even have multiple sources, including posture. By individualizing your treatment, I concentrate on healing and re-balancing the body, to manage your pain and lessen the chance of it returning. Then, I teach you how to manage your posture and movement.
A: Treatments for headaches or other pain from a recent problem will generally benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first 2 weeks, then 1 session per week. Older conditions will benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first week and then 1 session per week. Wellness sessions to rebalance and optimize the body for healthy aging range from a single session every month to once every six months and will be recommended on an individual basis.
A: An initial evaluation will take 1 hour. (Scar adhesion or sinus treatments only require 45 minutes.) Most follow-up treatments will be done in 30 minute sessions; multiple body areas may require 45 minutes
A: Any heavy exercise or recreational program should be done prior to the physical therapy or wellness session and then not for 24 hours after, in order for the body to adjust itself to the changes in muscle balance.
A: I will teach you techniques to perform on yourself if there is a flare-up and instruct you on proper body mechanics and ergonomics.
A: It is a facial aesthetics program of wrinkle reduction and facial rejuvenation using hands-on physical therapy and osteopathic techniques which may reduce the signs of aging in the face and neck. A FREE HEALTHY AGING CONSULTATION is available. See Refacée®
A: Wellness programs for healthy aging are not covered by most insurances, but may be reimbursable through a Healthcare Savings Account (HSA). A written bill and receipt will be provided upon your request. Although I do not participate in or bill insurance directly, I will provide a bill for you to submit to your insurance for reimbursement, upon request. As there are many types of insurance plans with each provider, it is your responsibility to understand the terms of your insurance. *Those with Medicare Part B insurance from CMS will only be allowed to be part of the Healthy Aging program, NOT for physical therapy treatment. Please see Payment Terms and Policies.