Restore and optimize health quickly.
Restore and optimize health quickly.
Over the past 15+ years, I have seen Susan for various concerns ranging from repetitive stress injuries to my neck/shoulder/arm, to treatment after breaking a leg and ankle, and knee injuries, to sinus issues. She is very knowledgeable about anatomy and physiology — it never ceases to surprise me that when I’m having pain in one area that she’ll focus on a completely different area because she understands how the various parts of the body interact as a whole interconnected system. Depending on the problem, sometimes the “fix” is relatively quick, other times, it may mean working to unravel layers of issues that have piled up over time to get to the root cause.
The work she does releasing old scars is amazing. I lived with severe back pain for years and was even told by a chiropractor that I had a squished disc in my back. Obviously she can’t actually eliminate the scar tissue, but the work she has done to release the scars has significantly reduced the pain.
Susan is very honest and straight forward in her treatment approach and if she doesn’t think she can help with a problem, she’ll tell you. The treatment she does is entirely hands on and you do need to do your “homework” and follow through with doing the exercises she suggests to aid with your progress.
WHAT IS MANUAL THERAPY?
- Manual therapy refers to a group of hands-on techniques used to identify and treat specific tissue in order to reduce pain and swelling, increase range of motion and mobility and restore, as well as to enhance function.
- It is used both therapeutically and for maintaining wellness throughout the body and head/face. It is very effective in helping restore good posture.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MANUAL THERAPY?
- Assisting in pain management
- Helping reduce inflammation/swelling
- Helping restore movement and function
- Increasing mobility and stability
- Improving general health and wellness
WHAT SPECIFIC MANUAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES ARE INTEGRATED INTO THE APPROACH AT BALTIMORE HOLISTIC PHYSICAL THERAPY?
- Visceral manipulation
- Myofascial Release
- Muscle Energy Technique (MET) -is an osteopathic treatment, originally developed by Fred Mitchell, Sr., D.O., It helps to free up tension around the joints with a gentle, patient participating maneuver. The goal of this technique is to relax and rebalance the muscle length and strength around a specific joint in order to promote a more optimal function in the region. This includes the spine, pelvis and limbs. As everything is connected in the body, the specific joint positional change will affect other areas. These changes are part of the holistic, integrated approach subscribed to at Baltimore Holistic Physical Therapy to return you to health more quickly or to rebalance posture in our Wellness programs.
- Positional Release (a.k.a. Strain and Counterstrain)– is a gentle, hands-on osteopathic treatment developed by physician, Lawrence Jones, D.O. Jones studied the healing effect on muscles after changing their tension level by gentle repositioning of the affected area. In an injury or just repetitive life activities, tension builds up and gets used to that level over time. This can start pulling joints (and the whole posture of the body) out of their intended position. As nerves control the tension level in muscles, this method sends a message, via the nerves, to the brain, to reset the tension level at rest, allowing for reduced pain and improved function. Dr. Schehr had the fortunate opportunity to be trained by Lawrence Jones, D.O. in this technique.
- Neural mobilization – addresses the actual physical pathway of a nerve. Symptoms of pain, numbness and/or tingling are sometimes due to nerve entrapment somewhere along its path. Freeing up any areas that are bound, helps the nerve glide more freely with movements of the body. This reduces the symptoms. One specific example studied is the reduction of sciatica, which also affects the hamstrings.
- Mobilization – spinal and joint – is passive movement of either the joints of the spine or of the limbs that addresses joint mobility (joint gliding, intended to relieve pain and muscle spasms, release tension and improve flexibility in a joint.
HOW CAN BALTIMORE HOLISTIC PHYSICAL THERAPY HELP?
A gentle, soothing hands-on approach.
Dr. Schehr, with Baltimore Holistic Physical Therapy, has over 35 years of highly specialized training in a multitude of techniques. Her approach integrates these techniques to obtain the best results for her patients in the most efficient way. This saves time and money, returning them to the activities they most enjoy more quickly.
What Our Patients Have To Say
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
A: Firstly, I don’t believe in doing what didn’t work before. Many physical therapy practices approach a problem by going to the painful region. Oftentimes, this is a very temporary fix. By taking a holistic, hands-on approach, I understand that your pain may be coming from another part of the body, or even have multiple sources, including posture. By individualizing your treatment, I concentrate on healing and re-balancing the body, to manage your pain and lessen the chance of it returning. Then, I teach you how to manage your posture and movement.
A: Treatments for headaches or other pain from a recent problem will generally benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first 2 weeks, then 1 session per week. Older conditions will benefit from 2 treatment sessions for the first week and then 1 session per week. Wellness sessions to rebalance and optimize the body for healthy aging range from a single session every month to once every six months and will be recommended on an individual basis.
A: An initial evaluation will take 1 hour. (Scar adhesion or sinus treatments only require 45 minutes.) Most follow-up treatments will be done in 30 minute sessions; multiple body areas may require 45 minutes
A: Any heavy exercise or recreational program should be done prior to the physical therapy or wellness session and then not for 24 hours after, in order for the body to adjust itself to the changes in muscle balance.
A: I will teach you techniques to perform on yourself if there is a flare-up and instruct you on proper body mechanics and ergonomics.
A: It is a facial aesthetics program of wrinkle reduction and facial rejuvenation using hands-on physical therapy and osteopathic techniques which may reduce the signs of aging in the face and neck. A FREE HEALTHY AGING CONSULTATION is available. See Refacée®
A: Wellness programs for healthy aging are not covered by most insurances, but may be reimbursable through a Healthcare Savings Account (HSA). A written bill and receipt will be provided upon your request. Although I do not participate in or bill insurance directly, I will provide a bill for you to submit to your insurance for reimbursement, upon request. As there are many types of insurance plans with each provider, it is your responsibility to understand the terms of your insurance. *Those with Medicare Part B insurance from CMS will only be allowed to be part of the Healthy Aging program, NOT for physical therapy treatment. Please see Payment Terms and Policies.
A: Appointments may be made in the following ways: Please call 410-665-3223 Email: Dr.Susan@baltimoreholisticpt.com